Monday, April 18, 2011

Mother's Day is coming...are you ready?

Now is a terrific time to make a really special card that your mom will treasure, even if you're making it for your grandchildren's great grandmother! (My mom.) Here's one I made, and I thought I'd tell you how.


I used cream-colored card stock to form the base for this easel card. It is 6" x 6" square, although you could make your card any size you want to. Then I used a piece of pink Coredinations™ Color Core™ cardstock and cut it to 6"x6". This was the base for my topper.

I'm assuming that you all know how to make an easel card, but if you don't, here is a good tutorial on how to do it.

Next I cut a piece of red card stock 8" wide and 4" high, and I laid it on my scoring board. Measuring in from one side 2.5", I scored and pleated the next two inches to form the center of the card topper. Next I attached a bit of lace to the back of the red card stock, and border-punched two scalloped borders to go at the bottom of the easel part. One of the two (the white one), I made a tiny pleat every inch and a half. Then I adhered both pieces in place on the easel. Taking another piece of 8"long cardstock (this one was about 2-1/2" high), I punched the border and then scored it between each set of scallops, which I then folded accordian-style to make the fan. The fan was then adhered to the easel base to act as the stop for the topper.

Next I adhered the red, pleated cardstock to the middle of the pink card.
After I tied a knot in the middle of a piece of ribbon, I adhered the cut ends to the back of the pink cardstock.

I cut a piece of lace about 6" long and ran a gathering stitch at along one long edge, pulling the threads to gather the lace into a carnation-shape. Using a bit of florist's wire, I fastened the flower to the "stem," covering the stem and gathering with green ribbon. I tied a tiny green bow, using the fork method (which gives you beautiful, even bows that will not come undone). Then I slipped the "stem" into the knot in the ribbon.

Only two more things to do now! I used my Silhouette cutter to cut a letter M (for Mom, of course), adhering it to the right side. Then I added two tiny, flat-backed pearls.

Because of the fan, this card will not fold down flat. This is just one of those "carry it over to her house and give her a kiss with it" kind of card.

No comments:

Post a Comment