Monday, March 12, 2012

Make It Monday: Butterfly Mobile

Welcome to another Make It Monday! This week, I wanted to share with you a mobile I made for my granddaughter's nursery. You may have seen others like it or similar; I made hers using my Silhouette SD to cut out four different butterflies, but you can cut simple ones following the templates at the bottom of the post (click on the templates and then right-click to save it to your computer).

I cut 2 of each design in 6 different colors. For some colors, I cut 3 of each design. I wanted them to look like they are flitting in and out of shadows as they move in the breeze.

After cutting them all out, I grouped them in groups of 4 or 6 by color. What you can't see very well in the photos is that underneath each butterfly is a little bead in a matching color, tied onto the line to keep the butterflies from sliding down the line on top of each other. After I ran the line through the bead, I went through it in the same direction another time and tied a knot. Dabbing on a little clear nail polish or glue will help keep the knot tight.

I used a steel hoop (I got 100 of them for free on freecycle!) for the top and fishing line for the strings. Since I couldn't get a good picture of the fishing line criss crossing the top, I've made a couple of diagrams for you.

Enjoy the pictures and the templates. I'd love to see what you make!








In the top diagram, each dot represents where that color butterfly "column"
was hung, staggering the lengths from longest on the outside of the ring
to shortest on the inside. The bottom diagram shows a side view and where the
lines to hang the mobile were located.


1 comment: